market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Yellow Nut Sedge -- More than you EVER wantedto know!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Vic & Pat Jackowsky" <3littlepigsmkt AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Yellow Nut Sedge -- More than you EVER wantedto know!
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:00:59 -0500

>>>I'd heard the nuts were edible and a quick surf shows that this is true.
"The tubers are edible raw, boiled, or baked. You can also grind them and use them as a coffee substitute.">>>

Well, if there's a market for them we'll be rich!!  We have the most 8 acres of the most beautiful nut sedge you've ever seen.  LOL

We have tried everything we could find to control it, even the geese and they do keep some of it back but I guess we need about 500 more because these just aren't keeping up with it!

The only thing we have found, but not used ourselves is a chemical called Sandea.  It can be used over the tops of vegetables and supposedly kills the sedge.  Now, if you use chemicals I can tell you where to find it however, it is $41. an ounce and the minimum size bottle is 10 ounces.  I'd  need to pick a lot of tomatoes for that!

Pat