market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce/salad greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce/salad greens
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:20:08 -0400

I grow a lot of lettuce and my wife learned somewhere how to store it. We
cut the stalk, progressively up the head of leaf lettuce, separating the
leaves. Then we wash and spin dry enough so they're still moist. Wrap in
a linen towel(the British say "tea towel") and put this in a plastic bag.
It keeps 2+ weeks this way.

Leaving it out at room temp will cause a decline in nutrition and flavor.
The plants (and vegies) are still alive after harvest. They process the
nutrients in the tissues, since they no longer have roots, and change them
into other compounds- kind of like starving people using muscle and organ
tissue to stay alive. Refrigeration slows down this metabolism.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm