market-farming - [Market-farming] Lettuce/salad greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Lettuce/salad greens
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:36:57 -0600

Hi! I am in the process of making up small flyers to hand out with my
lettuce. I want to place a list of "Helpful Hints for Fresh Lettuce". I
want to include information on storing and keeping lettuce fresh.

I just came across a "hint" online. It states "fill a large bowl with
lettuce. Cover with cold water. Refrigerate until needed." IS THIS A GOOD
IDEA? I thin their would be a loss of flavor.

Here are the first few hints I have listed:
Salad Hints:

To make the most of your fresh salad mix:

Remove lettuce from bag as soon as you get it home. Place in a salad
spinner or crisper. Refrigerate.

Tear lettuce into large bite-sized pieces.

The best salad dressing is light or offered on the side. Don't drown
your lettuce mix in dressing if it will sit before serving.

Lettuce salad is a great picnic choice! To keep fresh, fill a small
Tupperware container (sandwich holder or other) with water. Freeze. Place
container in bottom of bowl of lettuce. Cover. This will keep your lettuce
fresh and crisp until you reach your favorite picnic spot!

What do your think?

Thanks for the help!

Christina