market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce/salad greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce/salad greens
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:07:08 -0400

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:36:57 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi! I am in the process of making up small flyers to hand out with my
>lettuce. I want to place a list of "Helpful Hints for Fresh Lettuce". I
>want to include information on storing and keeping lettuce fresh.
>
>I just came across a "hint" online. It states "fill a large bowl with
>lettuce. Cover with cold water. Refrigerate until needed." IS THIS A GOOD
>IDEA? I thin their would be a loss of flavor.

There would certainly be a loss of vitamins. I don't think
this is a good idea.

My mother-in-law (lived in the UK) did this, except she
didn't refrigerate it - just kept it in her kitchen in a
bowl of water. I can't say it lost flavor much, though.
It's not as hot in the UK (where she lived) as much of the
USA and I think this is probably a hang-over from days
before refrigeration.

>Here are the first few hints I have listed:
>Salad Hints:
>
>To make the most of your fresh salad mix:
>
> Remove lettuce from bag as soon as you get it home. Place in a salad
>spinner or crisper. Refrigerate.

Yes, I agree with this.

But if people don't have a salad spinner or crisper, then
what? I think you might say - 'If you don't have either,
place the lettuce in a plastic bag and refrigerate.'
Something along those lines.

> Tear lettuce into large bite-sized pieces.
>
> The best salad dressing is light or offered on the side. Don't drown
>your lettuce mix in dressing if it will sit before serving.
>
> Lettuce salad is a great picnic choice! To keep fresh, fill a small
>Tupperware container (sandwich holder or other) with water. Freeze. Place
>container in bottom of bowl of lettuce. Cover. This will keep your lettuce
>fresh and crisp until you reach your favorite picnic spot!

Haven't tried it, it should work OK.

Pat