market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New to Group and Farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New to Group and Farming
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 08:20:21 -0500

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 07:34:05AM -0500, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> TexasBill,
>
> I'm having trouble getting onto the Texas Basket Factory web site. Are they
> out of business too? Do you think you have a phone number for them? The
> Monte site is real good! Can't seem to find a web site for Island in San
> Antonio, guess I'll give them a call them. Can't seem to find web site or
> phone number for Ag Supply in Tyler either. If you do run across the info
> for the other one in San Antonio, I'd really like to have it.

The Tyler place is 888 877-3125

Don't know about Texas Basket in Jacksonville.

The "other" San Antonio place is the successor to Alamo Packaging. The
guy I talked to a couple of months ago was supposed to get me some
product information, but I haven't heard from him and can't find his
card. Googling on "alamo packaging" can give you some leads; perhaps
the phone numbers are the same. Resource Ag in Tyler is likely to be
more reliable. Monte is also very reliable.

I use some waxed boxes from Inland in San Antonio. "1 1/9 bushel" are
really about 3/4 bushel and have cost me I think $1.25 in bundles of
200. They also have more flimsy waxed "cabbage" boxes that are about
1.5 bushel. $1.35, as I recall.

For much of my stuff, I use fold together un-waxed 1/2 bushel
peach/tomato boxes; the Tyler place has those. Cost should be $.80 to
$1.00 with a lid.

Where in West Texas are you? Need you be warned about the hazards of
peddlers in your new market?

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die