market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New to Group and Farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New to Group and Farming
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 17:49:09 -0500

> North of Big Spring. Need I be warned about the hazards of peddlers in my
> new market? Guess so, what are the hazards?

To inexperienced farmers marketers, it sounds quite reasonable to allow
some reselling in markets. Reasoning such as:
1) I want to sell my neighbor's products; he doesn't want to fool with
going to the market.
2) The market has no <productX>, it should be ok to bring in <productX>
to "help" the market and satisfy customer demand.
3) It should be OK to "fill out my load" by buying up to X% of what I
have to sell.

make sense to the inexperienced. The more experienced are likely to see
things this way:
1) Customers generally come to markets to buy from farmers, both to get
high quality product and to support local farmers.
2) A little bit of reselling inevitably leads to more reselling.
3) It is impossible to police limited reselling.
4) Obvious reselling alienates many of the markets customers.
5) EVERY sale made by a peddler is a sale not made by a grower.
6) Resellers eventually reduce the profitability of legitimate sellers
to the point of pushing them out of the market.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die