market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Response to Mr. Shoemaker

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Response to Mr. Shoemaker
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 21:19:17 -0600

I would like to make a small, respectful response to a sentence in one of
your posts, Bill.

<"No other earthly creature "farms". ">

I really don't want to start a off-topic discussion, but I think there has
been some research in this area. Certain "other earthly creatures" do farm.
I don't remember all the specifics, but certain insects do farm. I also
found an interesting article on snail's farming here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/dispatch/story/0,12978,1098954,00.html

I can't remember exactly, but I think I have found reference to insect
farming in an older ARS periodical. I am sure a quick search on google or
elsewhere will reveal further examples.

I have also read articles on plants giving off a smell detectable by and
attractive to "good insects" before full maturity, therefore having "armed"
themselves with these insects before attracting "bad insects" when matured.
The plants' "enemies" arrive just after the "good insects" have arrived.
The balance of the insects remains reasonable and the plant suffers only
minor damage.

I do agree with your thoughts on sustainability. One wonders if we can ever
be TOTALLY sustainable, but we are all (on list) trying. That is a worthy
goal in itself.

Christina
Libby Creek Heritage Farm