market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alan Whitaker" <awhitaker AT greenlynk.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:14:46 -0500

We use a sickle mower on the tops of both Irish and sweet potatoes then rake
them with pto driven side delivery rake to get them out of the way. Then we
plow them with middle busters. We then pick by hand and wait till it rains
and see that we left more in the ground than we dug.

They used to build a digger (horse drawn) made like a middle buster with a
grate directly behind the plow to "sift" the soil from around the taters.
I'll try that this year if I have the time on my sweet potatoes.

Awhitaker
Alabama