market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:20:15 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/2004 3:17:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ecapatos AT yahoo.ca writes:

potato diggers. I don't need a big tractor

Do you have a tractor?  We use what my husband calls a "buster sweep", a large, single triangular thing that he pulls with a small tractor.  You have to get a running start, then it scoops under all the potatoes (or onions) and just flips the whole row over.  you still get the thrill of crawling down the row on hands and knees putting the potatoes into baskets.
Speaking of which, I searched for cracks in the soil and robbed enough potatoes for dinner - first meal of new potatoes is always the best.
Wendy