market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob, Kathleen, & Kory Brocious" <bbrocious AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:36:32 -0400

Folks,
Last year we tried for the first time placing the seed potatoes on top of the soil and covering them with a HEAVY layer of hay. It is essential that you keep them covered as they will turn green if exposed to sunlight. But it meant no digging! We also used Bric's Mix on the plants. The ground we planted on was poor but it still yielded lots and lots of potatoes. Many were on the small side but I think that was because of the soil. We will try it again this year after working the soil with chickens this spring.
Bob
Tenacity Farm