market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "St. Joseph the Worker Farm" <jmmps AT rocketmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:05:48 -0700 (PDT)

We dug a trench and filled the trench with hay for
our first two rows this year. My next two rows
will be putting them on top of the ground covered
with lots of hay, like you did... Cant wait to try
it...

--- "Bob, Kathleen, & Kory Brocious"
<bbrocious AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> Last year we tried for the first time placing
> the seed potatoes on top of
> the soil and covering them with a HEAVY layer of
> hay. It is essential that
> you keep them covered as they will turn green if
> exposed to sunlight. But it
> meant no digging! We also used Bric's Mix on
> the plants. The ground we
> planted on was poor but it still yielded lots
> and lots of potatoes. Many
> were on the small side but I think that was
> because of the soil. We will
> try it again this year after working the soil
> with chickens this spring.
> Bob
> Tenacity Farm
>

> >From: Mark A Abner <wizard1 AT kih.net>
> >To: Market Farming
> <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> >Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato diggers
> >Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:16:46 -0400
> >
> >Alan
> > I dont know that I ahve ever seen a middle
> buster per se but I am
> >presumeing
> >that it is some what like my subsoiler but wiht
> a broad point liak an old
> >bull
> >tounge plow which is what I used to plaow out
> taters with when I was
> >growing up
> >pulled behine my mule. one coult take an extra
> point and weld some peices
> >of
> >rebar or square stock from the machine shop to
> the back side ot the point
> >and
> >let them sweep back like a fan that should work
> well for seperating the
> >tatters
> >from the soil.
> >
> >Mark A Abner
> >BriarPatch Farms and Fiber
> >Monticello KY 42633
> >
> >Alan Whitaker wrote:
> >
> > > We use a sickle mower on the tops of both
> Irish and sweet potatoes then
> >rake
> > > them with pto driven side delivery rake to
> get them out of the way. Then
> >we
> > > plow them with middle busters. We then pick
> by hand and wait till it
> >rains
> > > and see that we left more in the ground than
> we dug.
> > >
> > > They used to build a digger (horse drawn)
> made like a middle buster with
> > > grate directly behind the plow to "sift" the
> soil from around the
> >taters.
> > > I'll try that this year if I have the time
> on my sweet potatoes.
> > >
> > > Awhitaker
> > > Alabama

=====
Pax,
Jackie
St. Joseph the Worker Farm
(Northwestern Pa.)

Quit telling God how big your problems are ...
and start telling your problems how BIG your God is!!!