market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] comfortable field-worthy shoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex Mcgregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] comfortable field-worthy shoes
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 17:15:46 -0400

Judy,

I feel your pain. I, too, have feet shaped outside the "norm." Mine are
wide, flat and with a high instep. Most shoe brands just plain old don't
fit- in any size or width.

First- try men's boots. Just tell sales people in the store that there's
no law against women buying mens shoes. (My wife had to straighten out one
of these sex nazis when she wanted boots.) Mens boots tend to be wider and
roomier.

I buy work boots at a local store that sells used and display shoes. I pay
$5- $20 for a pair of $80 - $150 boots. A new or used pair lasts 1 season
of farming- I farm with my feet on the soil, not from the seat of a
tractor. I also buy running shoes at a thrift shop for $1- $5 for light
work- or cycle my favorite pair bought new when they get disreputable.

I use "Sorbithane" (may start with a Z) brand cushion inserts in my work
shoes- helps a lot. There are generic lines now. I get these where they
sell top grade running shoes to athletes.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm