market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pea shoots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pea shoots
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:17:24 -0600

Adriana - I didn't pre-bag them - just put them out in my usual display tub
but when customers ask about them I told them to try one, knowing what a
nice pea flavor they would discover. It usually works well and they grab a
bag and take some. Very few customers buy more than a couple of handfuls -
they are mostly braising them and some are using them in salads. That's why
I try to keep them at the shorter length but still have nice leaves.

I usually keep 2 to 3 trays going at a time and will cut all the trays for
the weeks market - probably sell 2 to 3 pounds a week, which isn't bad for
the limited amount of work they require. And I think our market is pretty
"typical" in customer demand for the "standards" vs. the more unusual but I
find if I talk to them and challenge them to try something new they will
mostly become loyal to that new product.

I'm hoping this is really the case since I'm going heavily in to Italian and
Asian vegetables this season, just to set us apart from the standards. It
will be fun and interesting - and require lots of recipes!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas