market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pea shoots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pea shoots
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:48:12 -0600

Paul -

I grow pea shoots in 1020 trays using the dwarf grey sugar peas - you can
get them by the 5# bag from Johnny's. Soak them over night (about 3/4 pound
per tray, as I recall). Put about and inch or more potting soil in the
trays and pat it out flat. Toss on the peas spreading them evenly over the
soil. I cover them then with a plastic dome and cloth to keep them in the
dark until they begin sprouting. Keep them moist - this is really important
- I just spray them with one of my watering wands every day. When the peas
are sprouting well - remove the cover and put them in shade to encourage
growth. I keep them under a pin oak on pallets - and cover them with shade
cloth the whole time.

Cut them at about 10 days to two weeks - you'll get 3 to 5 inches at that
point - you don't want them much longer they are just too stemmy. You'll
get two or three cuttings from each sowing. Compost the flats and begin
again.

I sell these at our market for $10 a pound and they usually sell out. One
of my favorite things to grow - no weeds, tiller, or stoop harvesting. Sit
them on a table and cut with scissors. I have also cut them from the field
when I've used spring peas for cover crop - but the flats are much nicer!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas