market-farming - [Market-farming] Pea Shoots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pea Shoots
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 05:44:55 -0600

I'd like to second the recommendation for Dwarf Gray Sugar Snow Peas they
are sweeter, leafier and have minimal fiber. A great source for these (much,
much cheaper than Johnny's, sorry Rob) is DeBruyn Seeds (616) 722-2316 .
They are $.85/# vs. JSS at $2.00 for 25/#.
> I grow pea shoots in 1020 trays using the dwarf grey sugar peas - you can
> get them by the 5# bag from Johnny's. Soak them over night (about 3/4
pound
> per tray, as I recall). Put about and inch or more potting soil in the
> trays and pat it out flat.

Be sure to check with your chefs for preferences of how they want them.
There are three stages:
1. Pea shoots - about 2-3" long with no open leaves
2. Pea tendrils - about 4-6" when the leaves first unfurl
3. Pea leaves - often harvested from mature plants and used by Oriental
cooks

I'm pretty sure that Pea Shoots fall under sprut regulations which are
pretty imposing. You can also grow shoots and tendrils int he dark for sale
as golden pea shoots or tendrils.