market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Generators

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Generators
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 06:48:58 -0500

> I'm farming well off the grid this season. Knowing so many who do so
> intentionally, I didn't think much of the commitment. Now, looking at
> a couple of hoophouses to put up and a mile of oak fencing to
> install, I'm longing for my power tools.

Our "generator" is actually a Miller Bobcat welder and it makes a HUGE
difference in getting work done far from electrical service. I love it!
Between fence work, logging, building, clearing, putting up signs, etc I
don't know what I'd do without it. It's also set up to plug right into the
house in case our power goes out, which for this old old farmhouse and rural
area miraculously hasn't happened yet.

It was expensive ($2500 and that's without the cables, spool, bottles, etc,
which we already had), but it was bought to also add income. Welding has
gotten so expensive and the demand for it's services have increased
dramatically. I don't do it, but Bill is a master welder. And it doesn't
take long for word to get out that a welder is in the area. We get calls
all the time. Most of the older farmers around here do their own, but as
their equipment has gotten older or younger farmers who don't know how to
weld are taking up the farms, the work is increasing.

Of course it has to be hauled around in our service truck. So while this
exact arrangement may not be beneficial to everyone, a portable generator
set-up is a "good thing". I highly recommend it.

Oh, and the welder is adding to a line of "craft" things we'll be offering
at our stand this year for tourists. Old metal/barnwood art. I know I've
preached about hating craft stuff at farmers' markets (but this will from
our on-farm stand), and I still feel that way, but here in the Appalachians,
tourists have come to expect stuff like that, and it does add to the bottom
line. It also helps us clear out some "junk"--can't believe how much of it
works out from the buildings, woods, ground even. I swear we're gonna find
Jimmy Hoffa one day.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC