market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Indoor Germination Tables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Goodaim AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Indoor Germination Tables
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:49:05 EST

Hello,
I  have a germination room in my basement which consists basically of 2 tables 20' by 2', with a layer of insulation and heat mat on the tables. We have growing lights hanging about 4-6'' off the table, depending on the height of the seeding trays used. The only problem we have with this system is watering. We do have drainage in the basement, so up to this point we have been watering with a wand and just letting the excess run down the drains. However, in a wet year, like last one, it takes a long time to dry and mold grew in the basement. Any ideas?
I looked into having metal trays custom -made, but the price was very prohibitive. Anyone know of a plastic tray or company that might make one, which we could use to cover the whole table and water from the bottom? Anyone have any other ideas to create a system in which we could water from the bottom, so we are not always watering our basement floor as well?
Thanks!

Aimee Kocis & John Good
Charlestown Cooperative Farm