market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Indoor Germination Tables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Indoor Germination Tables
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:52:41 -0500

Aimee, Capillary mats are what you need. They come in rolls usually 3 or 4 feet wide by 150 feet long and 1/4" thick made of a very water absorbent material. You roll out the mat on a bench over a sheet of black poly mulch type plastic and lay runs of drip tape on top every 12" wide the length of the bench. the drip tape soaks the mat and flats are placed on top of the mat and draw up water by capillary action. Properly set you will not have any runoff. Mats cost about 20 cents a square foot...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.
 Anyone have any other ideas to create a system in which we could water from the bottom, so we are not always watering our basement floor as well?
Thanks!

Aimee Kocis & John Good
Charlestown Cooperative Farm