market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Tomato Spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jackie Fisher" <splltrss AT scrtc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Tomato Spacing
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:26:29 -0600

> I too am interested to hear what spacing others use. We > have always
been two feet between plants. Thinking > back, I do not see how you
can plant some varieties (such > as German Stripe or Hillbilly) any closer.

I got impressive yields from tomatoes planted 12" apart in raised beds last
season. The varieties were Hillbilly, Thessoloniki, Principe, Brandywine,
Abraham Lincoln, Celebrity, and a bunch of cherry types. The beds were 1 ft.
deep, about 14" wide and were filled totally with the contents of a local
wormfarmers growing beds, worms included. This was a test run for me, to see
if I could grow from my electric wheelchair. The results were impressive,
local farmers stopping by to see and commenting that they had never seen
such beautiful or productive tomatoes. They raved over my other tests too,
particularly peppers.

However, for this year I will probably go to a 14 or 16 inch spacing as it
was indeed crowded using towers that close together, ;)

Thanks & Blessings!

Jackie Fisher
A Different Drummer Farm
South Central Kentucky
270-432-0970

"Be good to the land and it will be good to you"

  • [Market-farming] Re: Tomato Spacing, Jackie Fisher, 02/09/2004