market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Prairie Grass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Prairie Grass
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:15:38 -0600

Chris,

We graze a stand of Big Blue Stem and Indian grass mix. There are several
techniques that graziers to manage the tall native grasses for grazing.

One is Spring burning three out of five years is recommended.

Stocking density is important to get controlled grazing where the grass
reaches around 14" and is grazed to 6-8 inches on a rotational patter. We
have also tried what we believed to be the bison's method and that is a hard
grazing at boot and just graze it one time while in the vegetative state.
WSG can be grazed during the dormant winter period if the ground is not
subject to pugging (wet and soggy).

You can find more info at http://agebb.missouri.edu/ Search for "warm
season grass"

Rick H.