market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sheds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sheds
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:56:27 -0600

> But what is your experience? Has anyone crunched the numbers on the
> pre-fab vs the thumb-buster sheds? That could turn the tide for me. I
> salivated over a buddy's beautiful garden shed only to find out that
> it cost him $1000 IN MATERIALS more than the Lowes shed would for a
> similar footage.
>
> What's your experience and recommendations?

Around here the cheapest barn construction seems to be corrugated
galvanized steel pole barns with treated wood poles. 12' or 16'
spacing of 4"x6" poles. Purlins are 2x6s or 2x8s on edge and spaced
at about 30". Side walls as you like, not a big difference in cost.
The last one I had put up (about three years ago) cost about $3/sqft,
material and labor, no floor, 3x3 12' bays, three walls. The first
one I had put up about 20 years ago cost about $2/sqft. I've added
concrete floors, interior walls, lofts, walkin coolers, etc over the
years. Early on, I figured they might be 20 year buildings. Now, I'm
thinking 40 years. I've had some roof panels work loose in the wind
and I've had some fiberglass skylights blow out; other than that, they
have been trouble free. About $1000 in roof repair in 20 years.

Washed and screened gravel makes a pretty good floor.

I haven't recently priced all steel buildings, but I think that they
are about $10/sqft.

A local building supply place (McCoy's) offers farm building kits. The
smallest is a "loafing shed", 12'x12', three walls. I don't recall the
cost, but it is only around $300, I think.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html