market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Prairie Grass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Prairie Grass
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:02:27 -0000

I still have patches of native prairie on my farm, but have no
experience grazing it exclusively. I know that the Flint Hills in Kansas
are still grazed, and big bluestem is predominant there.

I would expect that you would have to use rotational grazing to mimic
the pattern of grazing that existed when the Upper Plains were wild and
free.

Some friends of mine have a son-in-law who is a prairie restoration
expert for the state of Minnesota. Check with your state ag department.

--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa, USA