market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] startup

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Beth Spaugh <eas9 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] startup
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:22:18 -0500

No, you actually don't pay sales tax on things used in ag production, in New York at least. Some stores don't take the forms, and we send the receipts into the state Sales Tax department and they refund us the sales tax. There are different forms also for taxes on utilities and fuel used on the farm.

In New York food is tax free, so if just selling food you don't need a sales tax account. If you sell flowers, then you do need to collect and report sales tax on them.

DBA is a good idea, but we didn't need it to set up a checking account.

Ah -- ok. So a sole proprietorship is all that's actually required.
That's nice. I'm a little confused about this "tax-free anything". Does
that mean if I kepe track of the sales taxes I'm having to pay when I buy,
for example, row cover, I can write off that expense when I do my
reporting? Or am I totally missing the point there?

> Thise is only very general because obviously states differ, but having
> started in three different states so far, these are the similarities
> that I have found. I do most of my 'shopping' for these by starting at
> the county offices and asking the attendant where to start - they
> generally know and each area will send you to another one, and give you
> buckets of forms to fill in, as well as zoning, general business
> licences and more advice than you can absorb! Winter is a great time to
> get organized!!!! Katy

Ha! "Winter" is a relative term. There is no "winter" where I am, per
se. In any case, I've been pretty successful at keeping my veggies
growing pretty well these past few months. Cold-tolerant plants, of
course. I'm just in the process of "getting serious" about all of this
and want to get the non-growing stuff set up correctly and out of the way.

Thanks for the info, Katy.

Matt