market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] startup

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Beth Spaugh <eas9 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] startup
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:19:05 -0500

Check locally, but in New York, you need do nothing to call yourself a "farm" and sell farm products. If you get big, buying and reselling, then you may run into bonding issues.

In New York, you can file ST125 with places you purchase things that are used primarily in agricultural production. Pretty broad definition of ag production - excludes financial management (like Quicken and TurboTax), and sales items, but packaging done to prepare for sale counts for the sales tax exemption,.

In New York, if you have 10 acres (there are some high value exceptions for smaller acreages) and sell at least $10,000 of ag products, then you may get a property tax break. File by March through the Soil & Water Conservation District. Need two years history, but there seems to be a new break for farm startups that have only one year's experience.

In Arizona, start with your county extension office, http://ag.arizona.edu/extension/ and ask about similar benefits. They may have to refer to you a regional level, OR talk to others who grow and sell and see what they have done.