market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] startup

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] startup
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:17:48 EST

In a message dated 2004-01-06 13:02:00 US Eastern Standard Time, cheselka AT mksit.net writes:
one thing I am wondering about
is if setting up a farming business exactly the same as setting up any
other kind of business?  That is, do I need to go through the same hoops
as I would if I were starting any other kind of company?  Like filing with
the corporation commission, publishing my articles of incorporation,
getting a buisiness license (if applicable for my city, county, and
state).
Goodness - that would be a pain, so thankfully no you do not have to incorporate to be a business.  Doing so allows some benefits, but only if you are large.  I think most farm and small business do DBA (Doing Business as farmA).  This allows you to register a name and open an account in a bank, but the name may need to be registered somewhere else too - ie courthouse or county/state govt. Registering for state sales tax is also useful and required by most states.  This means that you charge state sales tax on your sales, but get tax-free anything you use for your business. You should also think of insurance for the business.

Thise is only very general because obviously states differ, but having started in three different states so far, these are the similarities that I have found.  I do most of my 'shopping' for these by starting at the county offices and asking the attendant where to start - they generally know and each area will send you to another one, and give you buckets of forms to fill in, as well as zoning, general business licences and more advice than you can absorb!
Winter is a great time to get organized!!!!
Katy