market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] startup

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT mksit.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] startup
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:31:02 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 KTCopsey AT aol.com wrote:

> Goodness - that would be a pain, so thankfully no you do not have to
> incorporate to be a business. Doing so allows some benefits, but only
> if you are large. I think most farm and small business do DBA (Doing
> Business as farmA). This allows you to register a name and open an
> account in a bank, but the name may need to be registered somewhere else
> too - ie courthouse or county/state govt. Registering for state sales
> tax is also useful and required by most states. This means that you
> charge state sales tax on your sales, but get tax-free anything you use
> for your business. You should also think of insurance for the business.

Ah -- ok. So a sole proprietorship is all that's actually required.
That's nice. I'm a little confused about this "tax-free anything". Does
that mean if I kepe track of the sales taxes I'm having to pay when I buy,
for example, row cover, I can write off that expense when I do my
reporting? Or am I totally missing the point there?

> Thise is only very general because obviously states differ, but having
> started in three different states so far, these are the similarities
> that I have found. I do most of my 'shopping' for these by starting at
> the county offices and asking the attendant where to start - they
> generally know and each area will send you to another one, and give you
> buckets of forms to fill in, as well as zoning, general business
> licences and more advice than you can absorb! Winter is a great time to
> get organized!!!! Katy

Ha! "Winter" is a relative term. There is no "winter" where I am, per
se. In any case, I've been pretty successful at keeping my veggies
growing pretty well these past few months. Cold-tolerant plants, of
course. I'm just in the process of "getting serious" about all of this
and want to get the non-growing stuff set up correctly and out of the way.

Thanks for the info, Katy.

Matt