market-farming - [Market-farming] startup

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] startup
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:22:23 -0500

Matt -- Here in Ohio, food such as veggies/fruit is not taxed. If you are
going to sell items like cookbooks, crafts, etc you probably will need a
vendor's license.

If you are going to stay at this, and want to look like a 'working' farm in
the eyes of the IRS, and not a 'hobby' farm (tax write-off), then I suggest
getting a separate tax id number also called an EIN.

About purchasing farm items tax-free, here it is matter of informing the
seller that the item(s) are to be used solely for agriculture. They usually
have a form you fill out and sign stating such. Then the vendor keeps it on
file, so you do not have to fill one out each time. When I buy lumber, for
instance, I tell the salesman that it is either for our personal account
(taxed) or for the farm account (not taxed).

If you do not need to, I would not incorporate. We are a sole
proprietorship, DBA doing business as.........
You may have to register the name. I did have to in Florida but did not
here in Ohio.

Send a little warm air here, we are at 8F and the sun is shining.

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Catawba Island, Ohio