market-farming - [Market-farming] startup

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT mksit.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] startup
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:05:21 -0700 (MST)

Hello -- I too am fairly new to this list. I've been "lurking" for a
couple of months. I'm just getting into this market farming activity and
have yet to set up any "official" structure (i.e., setting up a business,
etc.). I don't have too many questions but one thing I am wondering about
is if setting up a farming business exactly the same as setting up any
other kind of business? That is, do I need to go through the same hoops
as I would if I were starting any other kind of company? Like filing with
the corporation commission, publishing my articles of incorporation,
getting a buisiness license (if applicable for my city, county, and
state). I'm assuming the answer to this question is "yes", but I wanted
to make sure. My short term plans are to sell my veggies at farmers'
markets (which in my state is totally unregulated as far as I can tell
looking at the statutes), but longer term I probably want to move into CSA
and maybe supplying local restaurants.

If I need to go along the normal business route, then that's fine, but if
there are alternatives, I'd like to hear about them (like if I don't have
to establish a business in order to sell my veggies). Since it probably
matters what state I'm in, I'll tell you that I'm in Arizona (yes --
where there's a 12-month growing season -- yehaw!).

Thanks and cheers,

Matt Cheselka