market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: commercial kitchen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: William Dellinger <hunger AT hunger.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: commercial kitchen
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:04:02 -0600

The IRS rules do permit some UBIT (Unrelated Business Income).
By contrast, my local Health Dep't (I hate to say 'my')Boone County, MO,
will permit absolutely no private kitchen. It must be a kitchen in a building
seperate from a residence, must have a separate lagoon/septic system which
must be engineered (the engineering along can run $20,000). It really
prohibits onfarm processing, since if you go large enough to make it
economic, then you have to have industrial zoning, which
isn't allowed in an ag. district.