market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: commercial kitchen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andrews, Shirley F." <SAndrews AT AcademicBookServices.com>
  • To: <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: commercial kitchen
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:22:21 -0500

>I do have questions for the list pertaining to setting up kitchens. For
those of you who have experience with them, what would you consider to
be
basic equipment needed, and could you share good resources for finding
used
and reasonably priced equipment? What problems have been encountered in
becoming licensed and keeping the license? Has including prepared foods
in
your product mix substantially impacted on the cost of liability
insurance?

Brigette

Bakery located in Georgia:

Basic equipment I purchased new:
3-compartment sink w faucets 500
hand sink 125
2 double ovens w 5yr warranty 2000
2 bakers racks 150
trays for racks 150
stainless steel table-6 ft 185
add drawer to table 105
add casters/rollers 85
custom built counter top 185

used: I found an expresso cart 150
stainless steel counter top 20

In addition in my basement I added:
Bath full size 3500
Construction of one room, lights, wiring, sheetrock, laminate backing to
Sinks and counter tops, exhaust fan, flooring, upgrade to electrical box
400 amp etc. approx 10,000 and that was with my brother doing the
construction (licensed electrician).

Smallwares:
Mixers, grinders, mixing bowls, various pans, measuring cups, storage
binsap approx 2500

Most used equipment places I checked were not much different in price
than new. However, the best place to check is probably with schools.
If they are upgrading they might give you the equipment to haul it off.

I have had no problems with inspection but the things I know they are
most particular about are pest control and the labeling process (make
sure package weighs more than stated, ingredients properly listed in
order and description of product clearly indentified i.e 'honey wheat'
was not sufficient label on a loaf of bread it had to say 'honey wheat
bread').

Cost of insurance liability policy 2,000,000 229.00 per year