market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: commercial kitchen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: commercial kitchen
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:23:53 -0500

Mary wrote:

Churches may not be able to rent you their kitchen (they may or may not be able to just let you use it?) as they are non-profit organizations and cannot take in money for renting out the kitchen. so either it would have to be free use, or it wouldn't happen. Is what our church said when we kind of looking into using the kitchen..and boy is it a nice one!!

Your church either doesn't want to bother with renters or the laws in your state are much different than in Pennsylvania -- our church will rent out kitchen out to anyone who asks -- we have a set policy on renting out all the different rooms in the church (except the sanctuary). As far as I know, this is normal in PA -- being a 501c3 doesn't mean you can't charge rent and MANY organizations around here do so.

Unfortunately, PA also makes you use a commercial kitchen for any food being sold to the public -- supposedly, this was to drive the small folks who were using their own kitchens to bake wedding cakes, cookies for speciality shops, etc out of business so that large baking corporations wouldn't have any competition.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of