market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Truck Tires

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Truck Tires
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:22:40 -0500

I pretty much use BF Goodrich tires on my vehicles. I use mostly the
All-terrains. We live in snow country and the all-terrains with their built
in siping (slice cuts in each lug) supposedly allow better performance than
a mud tire on an ice patch. And they have a good tread life. And the AT's
are computer designed to be quiet. I haven't had much problem with tire
noise. And I drive to work 50 miles away at speeds up to 70 MPH. If you're
not going to be hitting ice patches I would think that the Muds would be
good for digging in the snow when plowing. And they would be good around
the farm on those soft muddy days.

I see a lot of guys put a lot of time into special differential lockers and
souped-up 4x4 parts to get more traction, when the problem is mostly poor
tires. In fact I remember one guy that pulled into a snowy church parking
lot in 4x4 Hi and he was spinning all the tires and getting nowhere, because
they were all nearly bald, and I pull up with my 2 wheel drive pickup with
new tires and just pull right into my spot, backed right out and pulled in
again without spinning a wheel. Probably isn't the best to show off at
church on a Sunday, but we were both teenagers back then.

Paul Bock
Stone Gully