market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Hoophouse perimeter insulation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Hoophouse perimeter insulation
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 08:50:50 -0500

i attended Steve Moore's hoophouse workshop in PA,
so when we designed our hoophouse, we decided to
do perimeter insulation. We're in a similar climate
zone to Alison (6b), though we're in central Virginia.
Our greenhouse is still under construction (almost
finished!). It'll be hard to tell if the insulation is
worthwhile as we don't have a hoophouse without it to
compare with. maybe we can compare indoor and
outdoor temps with Alison's hoophouse?
One thing I will say: we spent many hours digging
and back-filling to get the insulation in. The time was a
bigger investment than the cost of the blueboard. We
set it at a 45 degree angle, and tried to combine the
backfilling of the insulation trench with the construction
of a shallower ditch for rainwater runoff. If I reach any
conclusion about the worthwhileness or not, I'll post it.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA,
Alison said:
> We do have an opinion on perimeter insulation - but it only holds for
> us, in our hardiness zone. This is a large country, and Pennsylvania
> is a lot different from southern Kentucky. We grow a wide variety of
> vegetables all winter with no problems, and don't think that for us,
> it would be cost effective. We feel the same way about heat - our
> biggest limiting factor is light - especially from mid-December until
> mid-February. But, again, that's for us in southern Kentucky. We keep
> it low tech and low cost, grow what grows within those parameters, and
> maximize our profit margins.
>
> Alison
>
> > ---------
> > Is there something about tunnel growing that precludes discussion on
> > this forum or would a separate forum allow more focus?
> >
> > Do you [Allison ]have an opinion on the efficacy of perimeter
> > insulation of unheated tunnels as advocated by Steve Moore? My
> > preliminary opinion is that it would only pay if one is doing
> > production deep into the winter.
> >
> > David.

  • [Market-farming] Re: Hoophouse perimeter insulation, pam, 11/07/2003