market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Zephyr squash (was Open pollinated corn revelation)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Zephyr squash (was Open pollinated corn revelation)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:34:19 -0400

Marlin,

The zephyr is one nice squash. I have been growing baby zukes for several years I get $3 LB for little to medium sized zephyrs, costata romanesque and sunburst patty pan. These also sell well at farmer's markets early and late in the season, right now we are in the midst of zuke season and I am lucky to get 25ยข a pound for any size at farmer's market. But chefs will generally love them and pay high dollar even in the middle of zuke season. I have been getting great baby zuke sales from one chef for 5 years.

We get a long season growing ours in unheated hoop houses in the spring and fall. So we have zukes from April thru December and most of the time can easily get $3lb for them.

PS. I've been quite enamored with Zephyr summer squash. I pick most of it
around 6-8' long and sell it for $1.50 per pound. Now I'm wondering if I
should be picking it at 3-4" long and selling it for say $5.00 per pound.
Looks like this should go over good with 5 star restaurant chefs. I wonder
what some of the rest of you are doing.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste