market-farming - [Market-farming] Market selling etiquitte ?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Bosko" <mjbosko AT jmtsystems.com>
  • To: "Market-farming" <Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Market selling etiquitte ?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:43:37 -0700

Ok, so here I go – new to the market farming deal I have just a couple questions (so far)…

I’ve been growing garlic the past couple years and have now started in with dry climate herbs that seem to be going pretty well. I have never sold to markets, always giving to friends and their friends out my back door.  After sitting on this list for a while, I’m getting the bug to sell to our small town by means of, possibly, our small Saturday farmers market.  But I’m not sure f.m.’s are for me.

I love to plant, grow, experiment and cut out the chems, not to mention wandering in my field, but I am just not sure that sitting at a booth on a Saturday is for me.  Once in a while would probably be fun.  I do have a full time job working for myself, but growing and experimenting with crops proves as one of my true enjoyments.

I know I should talk to my local f.market but wanted to get some impressions from my friends on this list first.

What is the best method to start marketing at the local f.m.?  Do they typically allow a one-time booth/table just so I can test the waters?  I’d guess there is a f.m. etiquette that I should try to adhere by – especially being the new kid on the block.  I don’t particularly want to make a killing on my sales, and don’t want to undercut anyone either – but I would like to come home with an empty truck – thinking I might actually break even this year.

Any input someone might want to offer, would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

JMT systems consulting

Software Development / Network Administration

www.jmtsystems.com -- info AT jmtsystems.com

Ofc: 509 968-9015  / Fax: 509 968-9016