market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market selling etiquitte ?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: <mjbosko AT jmtsystems.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market selling etiquitte ?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:46:04 -0500

I think markets and market rules differ.  I first sold at one that had no rules.  You just showed up whenever you wanted to.

The market I was most involved in had a selling fee that, essentially, gave you membership in an association of market farmers.  It paid for advertising and other things to help the association.

It seems to differ alot.

If there is a farmers' market in your area, just go to one of their sales days and find the market manager.  If there is one.  Ask about fees, entry requirements, etc.

When I started selling, I went to lots of places for a day thing.  My very first sales day was at a small animal swap meet at the fair grounds.  I paid my fee as a vendor and set up shop.

If what you want to do is develop a business, then look at it like a business.  If you just want to unload extra produce and make some money, that's a different thing.  I can tell you, that when I finally said, this is it... I'm going to run a market farming business, my whole attitude changed.  It was about being profitable.  That changed a lot of my thinking about what I was growing and why.

Del Williams
Clifton, IL