market-farming - [Market-farming] Best of the botanicals?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liannan88 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Best of the botanicals?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:07:54 EDT

<<Where is a good place to purchase botanicals with
labels approved for commercial farms (as opposed to
the farm and garden stores that only have a label for
home gardens)?>>

We live a good hour outside of Fort Worth, in an "old-school" farming & ranching community.  Finding these products has been difficult locally, & while I would be willing to order them over the internet, the cost of shipping for commerical quantities is outrageous.  Plus, I like see what I'm getting before ordering, especially the first time.

Much to my surprise, about a month ago, I asked a man working the Lawn & Garden center in Home Depot (in a larger town near us) if they carried Dipel, generic BT, Rotenone or any other organic pesticide/botanicals.  He said they didn't, but he was familiar with them.  Yesterday, when I went there to purchase some garden hoses, there was a full supply of organic pest controls, including insecticidal soaps, diatomaceous earth, Dipel, pyrethrins & hot pepper spray.  And not just lawn & garden sizes, but concentrates.  Which tells me that even if they don't have what you want in stock, they can & are probably willing to find it for you.  I always appreciate this about HD, that they are usually willing to do whatever is necessary to please you.  So, if YOU know what you're looking for, then I wouldn't hesitate to ask them to find it for you.

-Maridian Carlton
Bridgeport, TX