market-farming - [Market-farming] Farm Internship

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liannan88 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farm Internship
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:57:10 EDT

<<I am the only one working on the farm, so maybe it's time to think about
getting an intern or other poorly paid worker with lots of on farm perks. I
do have a baby sister (10yrs old) who will help me a little bit.>>

Funny you should bring this up today.  I am in DESPERATE need of DEPENDABLE help & was just getting ready to write a letter to the 4-H & FFA agents & let them know I'm interested in something of this sort.  Not having children of my own, I've kind of gotten out of touch with how these things work.  I was actively involved in 4-H growing up, & our County Extension Agent (who was also the 4-H agent), had a small farm where he raised & bred sheep & pigs, & the local in-town kids paid off the cost of their animals & boarding by helping take care of his stuff as well.  I know Horticulture Education is not as big as cows & horses (especially in TX!), but surely I should be able to work out a work/study program or some such with a local (perhaps underpriveleged?) kid or 2 that would be willing to do a little of the more labor-intensive jobs around here in exchange for a FFA or 4-H Horticulture project or a place to raise their sheep or goat or some such.

Has anyone else tried this or anything like it?  Also, I would think that there are so many new opportunities, especially with CSA's, market-farming & organics, that it might open up a whole new vista in the FFA & 4-H arenas.  CSA's, organics & market-farming were completely unheard of when (& where) I was growing up.  Still are in these parts.  I would be very interested in hearing about any successes or failures others have had in this area.  I know it's not always easy to get kids to actually WORK, but sometimes it's different with OTHER people's kids!

-Maridian Carlton
Bridgeport, TX