market-farming - [Market-farming] Guineas as insect control ?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Margaret <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Guineas as insect control ?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:39:42 -0700

Nothing kills them deader than being eaten. We have chickens and guineas.
Wendy
Akin Farm

I just got my first guineas. They are about 6 weeks old and still with the broody hen that is raising them. Do you allow them complete access to the gardens? Step mom is a big ole Buff Cochin who trampled the potato vines this morning. Are the guineas as destructive as chickens can be? I use ducks for slug control in the spring and keep them locked out later. The pastures are full of grasshoppers that have not yet located the veggies. How old are the guineas when they start bug patrol?
TIA
Margaret
Far Away Farm