market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] vendor discounts, was My local update

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Multiple List Recipients" <Market-Farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] vendor discounts, was My local update
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:19:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:10:22 -0500, Del Williams wrote:

<snip>

> I think they (the competitors) jumped the gun on the market. We have had
> major rabbit problems locally and a cold and wet spring. A lot of people
> are replacing what they lost. And furthermore, our stuff is superior. Ya
> know, sales haven't slowed down one bit except that we quit bringing in new
> product. We're just trying to sell out. What we have, generally, is as
> good or better than our competition. I'm not gonna back down on price when
> so many people drop by and still say, Your plants are so well maintained.

Del makes a good point.

Always try to sell out. Keep records about what sells
and what doesn't and try to match up the quantities
so that you have enough to run out.

If you ran out last week, take 10-15 % more of that item
this week so you can sell out again. If you have one or
two of something and a competitor stops by and asks
for a discount, give them one of the item as a present.

Tell them you can't afford to sell at a discount because
you keep selling out at full price. They'll understand
and appreciate the gesture of a gift.

Selling out tells customer prospects that what you have
is the good stuff. People can't get enough of it. That is
why you sell out.

<SNIP>

> The truly grand thing about doing small business is that you can build nice
> relationships with customers. They trust you because you don't lie to them.
> Not about the quality of what you have, not about your potential supply.
> Just because, in general, you treat them respectfully.

And you can have good relationships with competitors too.

If you want something another is selling, offer full price.
If they OFFER YOU a discount that is up to them, and
no one says you have to take it. Sometimes paying a
little bit more is more than returned in other ways.

Good luck at market to you all.

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming