market-farming - [Market-farming] My local update

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] My local update
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:11:23 -0700

Things are swinging this year, my second. I've gone from 2 to 5 markets and
I'm always tired, but feel like I need to cash in on the summer markets
while I can. Most of the markets here are seasonal.

1. Last year my issue was stupid market managers. I've held it out in the
smaller markets where I can get in and now I'm getting lots of press and
even a spot on a local radio station featuring a "market report". Now I'm
"hot" and the dust hasn't settled. Here in the the SF Bay Area, there are
too many growers and not enough markets.

2. Re EZ-Ups- what are you folks doing with them to make them last only a
year? Mine is doing fine in its 2nd season and shows no sign of wear. I do
put the cover on it after I'm done. I have the green and white stripe top,
which I can live with, but is there a cheap source for a replacement? How
hard would it be to make your own with fabric?

3. I'm getting price resistance for the first time. I very nicely say that
farmers deserve to make a living, too.

4. I have an elaborate set up and find myself VERY annoyed at early birds
who seem to always want me to stop what I'm doing and explain every item. I
would hate to lose a sale but I'm starting to go nuts. Does anyone have a
good non-offensive technique? The latecomers who come after the market is
over are fine. I'll stay as long as I hear money!

5. Kinkos here is having a sale on vinyl banners. $14 a square foot less
25%. I don't know if this is national but it's a good deal here. If you were
thinking of it, now is a good time. This price is full color!

6. I've bought shade cloth from the landscape dept at Home Depot. It's $14
for a huge piece. It not only shades, it helps create a "boutique " effect.
If you sell in a parking lot or have your ugly old truck behind your tent,
it covers a lot of sins. I have two pieces, for the sides if needed, and you
can still see through it so it's not so claustrophobic (sp). I attach it to
the EZUP with large clips (.98 each, also Home Depot)

7. I'm looking into selling packaged versions of some of my value-added
items and this is going to require labels. Any good or bad experiences with
printers? Are the prices competitive in general or is it worth it to look
for a real deal. Since I'm going for it, I might as well get new biz cards
and a printed brochure (as opposed to Kinkos).

8. How do you deal with selling to other vendors. I love doing trade with
other farmers, on the whole. But the crafts, jeweltry and soap makers always
ask for a vendor discount and I have zero interest in trade. I did a new
market and gave the soap woman a discount and now she's buying seven pounds
of dried bans! I told her I was comfortable giving her a discount on 2
pounds but in all honesty, I completely regret starting this cycle. Now the
kids who make jewelry ask for a "vendor discount". I don't want to be rude
but what to do?

These are my thoughts and questions!
>From the trenches,
Steve