market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Perennial/Annual sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Joe Kames" <farfish AT francomm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Perennial/Annual sales
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:07:06 -0400

> Red coreopsis -which came up on this board - sold out immediately. I'd
like
> to hear how those customers made out. Is this an iffy plant that doesn't
> fair as well as it's yellow counterparts?
>
>Del,

Red Coreopsis will not over winter in Zone 5.We sold many of them last year
and planted some myself. Mine did not survive and feedback from customers
indicates the same. Other Coreopsis were fine. We are able to sell Lime Rock
Ruby as an annual this year but have a hard time of it at $3.50. This is an
economically depressed area, in our Farmers Market it is difficult to sell
anything for over $5.00.

Who would you recommend as a good source for plugs or bare root perennials?

Thanks
Joe