market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Perennial/Annual sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Perennial/Annual sales
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:33:55 -0500

Joe,

We sold Lime Rock ruby for $7 a gallon.

As a perennial in zone 5.

What are the issues there? Is it a tender perennial?

I know it sounds awful but we offer no guarantee on any of our plants. The
fact is, we have no control over planting conditions, planting time,
maintenance, the weather, etc.

People still pay our higher prices. Occasionally someone who is a perpetual
buyer comes in and tells me about a plant failure. I try to figure it out
with them. Invariably they buy a new plant and I discount it. If they are
buying several plants I throw some of them in for free.

Yeah, sure. We're not going to get the profit on those plants this season
but we will have a customer who will come back. Not because we manipulated
them but because we hate to see our plants fail.
s0