market-farming - [Market-farming] Steve - Early Birds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pat Rupiper" <arupiper AT bright.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Steve - Early Birds
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:08:57 -0400

I was having that trouble last year, It was so frustrating that my husband stepped in. He fixed it by telling the customers that he would get their produce for twice the normal price before the market opened for business! Worked like a charm. Every one of them came back at opening time. It circulated around rather quickly. The other vendors laughed. We had a specific start time with an opening announcement and bell ringing each Sat.
Maybe this will work for you. If they still bug you, your time is worth more!
Regarding vendor deals, I only deal by trading with those who have stuff we both want. No end of day discounts - ever. I will give to the food pantry of soup kitchen first. It is bad for business. Each week is different. If you dealt before at a discount simply tell this vendor that you have changed your policy, then take it up with the market execs at the next meeting, and see if there can be some kind of standard reached.
Good luck everyone, I hope your vegetables are prolific and the patrons spend lots!
Pat - Southern Ohio

  • [Market-farming] Steve - Early Birds, Pat Rupiper, 07/15/2003