market-farming - [Market-farming] Shade house rules

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Shade house rules
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:40:09 -0400

We had our first 95 degree day today, and my unrooted poinsettias
arrived from Mexico in time to bring a little Christmas cheer. Spent the
day in the shadehouse setting plants into oasis cubes under the mist. I
went through all my greenhouses and checked the temps, in my unshaded
3000 sq ft house the thermometer read 120* and plastic pots were
starting to melt, in an unshaded 1000 sq ft with better air movement the
temps were 110*, the 50% shaded 1000 sq ft poly covered propagation
house with mist and good air movement came in at a cool 95*. It was
quite pleasant working there because its not just cooler but you don't
get slowly cooked by IR rays...Merry Christmas...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.