market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Plum Problems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jim Gage" <jdgage AT hurleycomputers.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Plum Problems
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:36:13 -0500

In my experience, stone fruit are sometimes funny little buggers. Right at
pit hardening, both plums and peaches go through "june drop" -- basically,
the seed is non-viable and then the fruit falls off. For giggles, pull a
good fruit off and spilt it apart, and then do the same with a fruit that
has fallen -- the good fruit will have a completely white pit, and the
dropped fruit will have a brownish appearance. Lots of research work has
been done on hormones supplied to the fruit by the seed in the 1980's to
understand this phenomena, but unless there has been some miracle since,
they will continue to drop.

And I assume it is not a curculio -- open those fruit up and it will be a
brown mess with the larva still in there wiggling....

Look at it as unselective fruit pruning, and the remainder of your fruit
will be bigger.

Jim Gage