market-farming - [Market-farming] (no subject)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:32:40 -0400

Good Morning,

Is there anybody out that that harvests their own small grains?

Maybe as seed for cover crops?

What equipment do you use?

Does anyone have any information on the threshing mechanism?

I have heard that there are old PTO driven harvesters out there, but I have
yet to see one. I am pretty handy at fabricating things and I want to build
a small one on an old truck frame. I understand how the feed cylinder works
to pull the top of the grain in and I understand the reaper mechanism,
basically a sickle bar. I understand how the grain cleaner work, basically
a sifting operation along several screens. But I am not sure how the
thresher works. I understand that it beats the grain heads to separate the
grains from the straw. I would like to see one of these mechanisms in
operation.

I scattered some winter rye in an area to stop erosion and I never tilled it
in and now it has the most wonderful iridescent grain heads. I'm going to
let it go all the way. Cut it down when it starts to dry out and hang
bunches up in the barn to dry out. I have been studying the development of
the heads as they grow.

Anybody have a good reference book on growing and harvesting small grains?
(wheat, oats, rye, clover, etc?)