market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Palmer <berryman70 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: bockpa AT plesh.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:14:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I usually grow 5 to 10 acres of either oats,rye or
spelts, I use the straw for mulch and sell the grain.
My neighbor and I own an old John Deere 10ft self
propelled combine together, paid $1000 at a auction
for it, before it, we had a MF self propelled combine
with a 7ft head that we paid $700. As Bob said you
just about have to be a mechanic to keep an old
combine running (besides my farm, I'm a heavy
equipment mechanic also). The reason we own our own
combine, it's hard to find someone to come in and
custom combine small acreage and they only come when
it's convenient for them not when the grain is ready.
Don Palmer-western NY
Palmer's Fruits & Vegetables
www.palmersfarm.com