market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] (no subject)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bob AT bidumup.com>
  • To: <bockpa AT plesh.com>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:09:55 -0500

Is there anybody out that that harvests their own small grains?

Does anyone have any information on the threshing mechanism?

I have heard that there are old PTO driven harvesters out there, but I have

I share your desire to have a small harvester/combine of some sort. I wanted
one that would run off to the side of tractor but they are impossible to
find. However, there are a lot of self propelled larger combines out in
barns and pastures aging away that could stand to be revived.
As far as the thresher- that is an element that beats against the grain at
sufficient force to knock the grain away from the hull. The chaff is blown
off in an air blast and the grain falls through the plates. You can in a
small production use a weed eater on the cut tops of the grain laid out on
the floor with side boards around to catch the bounce. To winnow the grain
throw shovels full in front of a strong fan and the chaff will be blown out.
Make sure your grain is down to about 13% moisture before working with it.
Your thumb nail should not be able to dent the grain.\
Bob C