market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Hoes and tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Hoes and tillers
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:07:50 -0700

> One of the best ways to eliminate hoeing & tilling is to put several
layers of newspaper down the rows and between the plants and add any organic
mulch on top to hold paper down. This will keep the light from sprouting
weed seed and will help soil retain moisture longer, thus don't have to
water as often or as much. You can also use shredded paper. I get alot of
shredded paper from offices in town. I use it on garden and flower beds and
also in my composting worm beds.

Doesn't this keep the soil temps low early in the Spring? I can see it work
better later in the summer, even help retain some mositure. Have you done
this on any real acreage?

Steve